One of our existing clients approached us to solve a problem with their end-to-end order tracking recently, and as it’s a relatively common requirement we thought it worth mentioning this month. First though a little background on that company:
The organisation regularly resell software licenses, receive electronic email delivery details from their vendor, sell services on top of the licenses such as consultancy / support contracts, and track invoices against all of this. To manage this a spreadsheet template is copied each financial year and filled in throughout the year. Within the template, links to documents stored in a file location are manually added, and values manually entered. They had recently moved to SharePoint Online purely for document storage and after speaking with ourselves, realised a better system could be built. By creating a SharePoint system to manage this instead of a spreadsheet we introduced the following:
- No spreadsheet templates, just a single list within SharePoint
- No manual linking of orders, delivery documents, invoices etc to a transaction, documents are automatically linked to the transaction when saved directly from Outlook
- Reporting accessible and formatted for mobile app / web browser consumption to show key information
- Tracking of licensing information as part of the ordering process
- Automatic approval processes to confirm purchases for certain customers, or paying certain invoices for certain suppliers.
More information can be found in the link below. We’d be really interested to hear what others think.